Dyslexia Assessments

Please note that the Dyslexia Association of London do not offer assessments.Listen

We are working on building a database of qualified professionals, however at this time we rely on the British Dyslexia Association to provide diagnostic assessments. You can find further information below on what to do if you believe you may have dyslexia.Listen

Children/Young PeopleListen

Even though children can begin to show signs of dyslexia from a young age, it is typically not diagnosed until around 6 years old. That said, some children will not be diagnosed until adulthood.ListenDyslexia affects each individual differently, however there are some signs that you can look out for in your child which may indicate dyslexia. These include:Listen

  • Difficulty following instructionsListen
  • Forgetful with words or unable to recognise words that are familiar to themListen
  • Stronger oral skills than written workListen
  • Poor comprehension skillsListen
  • UnorganisedListen

At secondary school these indicators become more specific and can include:Listen

  • Confusing wordsListen
  • Confusing right and leftListen
  • Clear difficulties processing informationListen
  • DisorganisedListen
  • Much stronger knowledge than is able to express in written formListen

If you believe your child has dyslexia, or their school has suggested an underlying issue, it is important that you speak to their class teacher and SENCO (special needs coordinator) as the school will be able to provide an assessment.Listen

Adult in the WorkplaceListen

If you believe you have Dyslexia and it is affecting your work your employer is legally obliged to provide assistance under the Equality Act 2010.ListenThey have a duty of care to ensure that employees with dyslexia are not treated unfavourably and are offered reasonable adjustments or support.Listen

Depending on the size of your employer, they may only be able to contribute to the cost, but it is expected that they do that as a minimum.ListenOnce you have a formal diagnoses, the Access to Work scheme is great for providing practical assistance.Listen

There are a number of organisations that offer dyslexia diagnostic assessments. We recommend the British Dyslexia Association.Listen

Privately Funded Adult Diagnostic AssessmentListen

Unfortunately if you do not have a traditional employer, you may have to pay for an assessment yourself.Listen

They can only be carried out by either Specialist Teachers (AMBDA qualified) or Chartered, or Occupational Psychologists. If you are having a diagnostic assessment in order to claim for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) then the assessor needs to have a current Assessment Practising Certificate (APC).Listen
Be sure to check for an accredited professional and that your reports include a thorough conclusion of assessment findings, as well as recommendations for supporting the individual at home/school/work.Listen

audible banner

Click on text to play audio. To stop the audio, simply click on any blank space on the page.